Time control in XiangQi tournaments?
DragonSlay
2005-02-01 04:34:16 UTC
Would someone tell me how much time the players have in most Xiangqi games?
How does the time control work in general? This site has been very
helpful to me. Thanks to everyone again!
David H Li
2005-02-04 00:27:35 UTC
Post by DragonSlay
Would someone tell me how much time the players have in most Xiangqi games?
How does the time control work in general? This site has been very
helpful to me. Thanks to everyone again!
The following is from page 57 of my Xiangqi Syllabus on Horse, published
in October 2004, on time control at the World Xiangqi Championships, the
last one of which was held in Hong Kong in December 2003: These time
controls are from those in use at the Asian Xiangqi Federation games.

First 25 moves in 60 minutes or less
35 75
45 90
55 105
65 120

The time allowed includes keeping his/her own score. Any unused time
from one time-control period is carried forward to the next.

After the fifth time control (after 120 minutes), each player is to make
10 moves in 5 minutes, but the requirement to keep score is waived.

David Li
DragonSlay
2005-02-04 04:59:21 UTC
Mr. Li- Thank you for the information. I am a mid-range chess player, but
have only just begun to play Xiangqi. I am finding it to be a fascinating
and fast-paced game. I tend to favor "open" positions when I play chess.
Perhaps that is why I am finding this game to be so interesting. I hope
to make good use of your books very soon. Thank you again.

Steve Polley

P.S. After I read your "Genealogy," I would enjoy discussing the finer
points of your theory sometime....