I am in Shenyang, China now
samsloan
2009-09-14 07:08:36 UTC
After the World Chess Championship of Chinese Chess in Xintai, I have
gone to Shenyang in Liaoning Province.

I am hanging out at a place known as the "English Corner". This is
where local people come to speak English to each other and to improve
their English.

It is located on Zhongshan Square, on the back side of the huge statue
of Chairman Mao. The statue of Chairman Mao is surrounded by statues
of workers, pesants, farmers and soldiers who joined Mao in the
liberation of China.

It seems strange that the "English Corner" would be located on the
backside of the statue of Chairman Mao.

A picture was taken of me here that would make Bill Brock's blood
boil. I will not publish the picture out of sensitivity to the poor
man.

The people gather at English Corner at 7:00 PM every day. The crowd
dispurses at about 10:00 PM. I am the center of attention here because
I am the only native speaker of English here and everybody strains to
hear what I have to say so as to improve their English.

My flight reservation is to return to America on September 22. I was
staying at Liaoning Hotel until today, but after I extended my trip I
moved to the nearby Hanting Inn, to cut expenses. http://www.htinns.com

There is some disagreement about who has stayed at the Liaoning Hotel.
Some say that Chairman Mao and his top comrads stayed here. Others say
that this is not true but Emperor Pu Yi, the Last Emporer of China,
stayed here.

I do not know which is true but I can say for sure that Sam Sloan
slept here.

Sam Sloan
Matt Nemmers
How many whores have you bagged so far? And were any of them legal?
MrVidmar
The more precise question might be how many happy endings.
Rob
2009-09-14 13:30:34 UTC
Post by samsloan
[...]
How many whores have you bagged so far?  And were any of them legal?- Hide quoted text -
He may be looking for brides.
http://thelastcrusade.org/2009/08/07/hamas-plays-host-to-pedophilia/
MrVidmar
Hadn't though of that. He is Muslim so more than one is a possibility.
rst0wxyz
2009-09-14 17:13:18 UTC
How many whores have you bagged so far?  And were any of them legal?- Hide quoted text -
He may be looking for brides.http://thelastcrusade.org/2009/08/07/hamas-plays-host-to-pedophilia/
Now you can see the reason the Afghans and Iraqis fought so hard to
keep their traditions!!!
samsloan
2009-09-15 08:24:01 UTC
English Corner is located on the backside of a huge statue of Chairman
Mao.

The statue of Chairman Mao is surrounded by small statues of workers,
pesants, soldiers and just one intellectual. This statue was erected
during the Cultural Revolution.

The question is: How many people are in the statues? I count 58, plus
Chairman Mao on the top which makes 59.

I count 15 on the front of Chairman Mao, 20 around on the right side,
4 on the back side and 19 on the left side.

Does anybody disagree with my count?

The buildings around Zhongshan Square are said to have mostly been
erected by the Japanese during their occupation of Manchuria. However,
Liaoning Hotel where I have been staying pre-dates the Japanese
occupation and I think the hospital there is more recent than the
departure of the Japanese. All of these buildings are protected as
part of the Chinese national heritage.

Sam Sloan
Sam Sloan
None
2009-09-15 18:10:54 UTC
On Sep 15, 4:24 am, samsloan <***@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anybody disagree with my count? --SSloan

Does anybody give a rat's ass?
samsloan
2009-09-19 03:47:57 UTC
Last night, the Director of the Chess School in Shenyang, Mr. Liu Chao
Ying, invited me to dinner, and brought along an eight year old boy
who, he said, wanted to play a game of chess.

I know enough to be wary of ten-year-old boys, but I feel I can
usually handle an eight-year-old.

In the first game I was on the Black side of a Nimzo Indian Defense.
As Black I found a standard Bxh2+ sacrifice, which is usually followed
by Kxh2, Ng4+, Kg1, Qh4 followed by mate.

The little boy figured out that he cound not take the bishop and so
played Kh1 but I seen mated him.

After this game was played we started our meal in the restaurant, but
the little boy kept staring intently at the board. He retracted the
last few moves and kept trying various defenses to see it he could
have survived my attack.

Alsa, he could not but I was impresses that the boy had remembered all
the moves and could go back and keep trying.

So, we played another game. I was White in a Sicilian Defense. (I did
not play any of my crazy lines against the little boy, so as not to
corrupt him.) I do not know the name of this variation, but it went:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 a6 6. Nd6+ Bxd6 7.
Qxd6 Qf6 8. Qc7.

I knew that this line was good for White because Bobby Fischer had
covered this line in a lecture series I took from him at the Marshall
Chess Club in 1964. However, that was all I knew of this line and
before long the little boy had won a pawn. Also, I had castled queen-
side and he had a strong attack along the b and c files.

My position was close to lost but fortunately I swindled the kid and
mated him.

In the third game, there was no doubt. I was Black this time and the
kid played a Scotch Gambit. Very soon I mixed up my lines and was dead
lost. I was three pawns down. Meanwhile a Chinese-English translator
had been provided who did not know how to play chess and she kept
interfering in the game by telling the kid things that he obviously
understood a lot better than her.

This gave me the excuse I need in case I lost.

Fortunately, I buckled down. It would just not do to lose a game to an
eight year old. I set a little trap and the kid fell right into it and
I won again.

So I had won all three games and by now everybody had finished dinner.

The name of the kid is Wang Pei Ran. Write that down. He is the
champion of Liaoning Province for his age group. (They did not tell me
this until after the first two games were over and I realized that
this was not just an ordinary eight year old and I asked about it.)

I do not know how he compares with 8-year-olds in America, but I can
say with great confidence that he will be a master and possibly a
grandmaster some day.

Tomorrow, before I leave for America, Mr. Liu says that he will bring
me some more kids to play against. I am wondering if I will escape
again.

Sam Sloan
samsloan
2009-09-21 01:49:21 UTC
Yesterday, I gave a simultaneous chess exhibition at the chess school
in Shenyang. I played five boys, ages 8-10.

Actually, I did not do that well, winning three games and losing two.

I did not realize until after the games that these kids were
thoroughly booked-up. I found that out when I tried to give a chess
lecture, showing some basic opening lines, only to discover that these
kids already knew all these lines, except that they did not know the
Max Lange Attack. They did know the Fried Liver Attack.

Then I showed them a line that I knew that they did not know because I
had invented it myself. They immediately played it back and showed
that they had memorized it already.

One of the directors at the chess school suggested that I organize a
friendship match. A bunch of kids from this school would go to America
to play a match against the kids from a similar school in America.
Then those kids would come to China to play a return match. This was
their idea.

I am sorry to disappoint them but I fear that no school in America
could give them a decent match. Perhaps a team from the entire USA
could give them a good game but I do not think any one school could
give them a contest.

By the way, the reason for my poor score of 3-2 was that I allowed
some of the kids to have the White pieces. This was not a good idea
knowing their extensive knowledge of the openings. The two games I
lost were both games that I played Black. In both games I lost, they
played the Scotch Gambit: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. c3 dxc3 5.
Bc4 d5 6. Bxd5 cxb2 7. Bxb2.

I need to thank the director of the chess school, Liu Chao Ying,
because he also extended my airplane ticket by eight days and paid my
hotel bill for those eight days.

The address of the chess school is:

Railway Third Primary School
Jixiang 10
Heping District
Shenyang, China 110005

Sam Sloan
Michael
nice
samsloan
2009-10-05 06:38:18 UTC
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Marvin wrote:

Are the Chinese kids any good at chess?

The kids are quite good for their ages, which is 8-10. Their chess
strength is in the range 1600-1700.

I lost two of the 5 games. This is an embarrassment. My excuse is I
let two of the kids have the white pieces. The general rule is that
the simultaneous giver is supposed to have White in all games. I did
not take the kids seriously enough to enforce this rule.

Secondly, I did not require the kids to wait until I came to the board
to make their move. This caused me to lose one game because I did not
see what the kid had played and as a result I left a rook hanging. I
decided to be gracious and a good sport and not to complain about
this.

The two games I played with the Black pieces were the two games I
lost. Both of those games were Scotch Gambits, which went 1. e4 e5 2.
Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4 cxb2 5. Bxb2 d5. Black is now a
pawn ahead but White has an attack and I did not defend well.

I later found out that two of the kids do not live in Shenyang. They
were from Qinhuangdao City in Hebei province, China. They had come by
train with their parents that day just to play me. They took the train
back right after the games had finished. We drove them to the train
station. So, I was not playing just any five random kids. I was
playing the best that Liaoning and Hebei provinces had to offer.

Sam Sloan
samsloan
2009-10-05 06:51:22 UTC
I have posted some pictures from the games at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N05/

Sam Sloan
madams
2009-10-07 22:40:42 UTC
------

Kool pics; Sloan humps @ the back & slumps @ the front...

That Karen's pretty cute, & jia-ying (coco) also .....

______