Looking for Places to Play Chess in China
samsloan
2009-09-05 05:06:06 UTC
I am in Xintai, Shandong Province of China. I have a flight
reservation to return to America on September 14, 2009.

I just realized that I have nothing to do here. I have no plans, no
ideas.

Does anybody know of places to play chess in China? It can be either
Chinese chess (xiangqi) or International chess.

It can be anywhere in the country, as I will be moving around over the
next nine days.

Sam Sloan
in Xintai, Shandong, China
Liang Qi
2009-09-11 08:41:37 UTC
Hi, Sam Sloan,

Did you finish the game in The 11 th World Xiangqi Championship? Cool.

Where will you fly back to America? Beijing or Shanghai?

Maybe you can find some info in following web pages:
Shandong Board and Card Games: http://www.sdqipai.com/
Shandong Xiangqi: http://www.sdxqw.net/ , Tel: 0531-86795060, Email:
***@foxmail.com, Address: No. 147, Shanda Road, Ji'nan
http://ditu.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E6%B5%8E%E5%8D%97%E5%B8%82%E5%B1%B1%E5%A4%A7%E8%B7%AF147%E5%8F%B7+&ie=UTF8&z=17&iwloc=A&brcurrent=3,0x0:0x0,1%3B5,0,1

Can't find more useful info online now. Hope you can find some useful
info before you leave. Good luck!

Regards,
Liang
in Xintai, Shandong, China
samsloan
2009-09-11 09:01:33 UTC
Post by samsloan
I am in Xintai, Shandong Province of China. I have a flight
reservation to return to America on September 14, 2009.
I just realized that I have nothing to do here. I have no plans, no
ideas.
Does anybody know of places to play chess in China? It can be either
Chinese chess (xiangqi) or International chess.
It can be anywhere in the country, as I will be moving around over the
next nine days.
Sam Sloan
in Xintai, Shandong, China- 隐藏被引用文字 -
- 显示引用的文字 -
Thank you very much.

However, I am now in Shenyang.

I am staying at the same hotel where Chairman Mao (my new hero)
stayed.

Do you know of any places to play chess in Shenyang?

Sam Sloan
Xangdi
2009-09-11 09:12:38 UTC
Post by samsloan
I am in Xintai, Shandong Province of China. I have a flight
reservation to return to America on September 14, 2009.
I just realized that I have nothing to do here. I have no plans, no
ideas.
Does anybody know of places to play chess in China? It can be either
Chinese chess (xiangqi) or International chess.
It can be anywhere in the country, as I will be moving around over the
next nine days.
Sam Sloan
in Xintai, Shandong, China- 隐藏被引用文字 -
- 显示引用的文字 -
Thank you very much.
However, I am now in Shenyang.
I am staying at the same hotel where Chairman Mao (my new hero)
stayed.
Do you know of any places to play chess in Shenyang?
Sam Sloan
May I be so bold as to ask why you idolize an historical figure that
has been condemned, denounced, and insulted constantly on these
newsgroups?
Liang Qi
2009-09-11 09:47:54 UTC
Hi,

Shenyang Qi Yuan: Tel: 024-23226195 024-23866486, Address: No. 34, Nan
San Ma Lu, Heping District, Shenyang
http://ditu.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E6%B2%88%E9%98%B3%E5%B8%82%E5%92%8C%E5%B9%B3%E5%8C%BA%E5%8D%97%E4%B8%89%E9%A9%AC%E8%B7%AF34%E5%8F%B7&sll=59.91382,10.738741&sspn=0.616149,2.113495&ie=UTF8&z=17&brcurrent=3,0x5e2f8788610e0379:0xa185f68344ebc0a5,0%3B5,0,0

Contact them. Good luck!

Regards,
Liang
Sam Sloan
samsloan
2009-09-12 09:41:58 UTC
Post by Liang Qi
Hi,
Shenyang Qi Yuan: Tel: 024-23226195 024-23866486, Address: No. 34, Nan
San Ma Lu, Heping District, Shenyanghttp://ditu.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E6%B2%88...
Contact them. Good luck!
Regards,
Liang
Thank You. I found the place although with great difficulty, as two
taxi drivers could not find it.

However, it is not a chess club or chess association. It is a school
where chess is taught on the 6th floor.

It is at the corner with Nanjing Nanjie. The telephone number is
82677470. The sign on the door gives the number as 23211390.

When I told them I wanted to play chess they said I could play the
teachers

The first teacher I played was a girl named Shi Bin Bin。 She was Class-
B at best

Then, the other teacher came out。 They said that he was a national
master so I expected him to beat me。 He did not We played 5 games of 7-
minute chess and broke even so I think he is an expert at best。 His
name is Ye Jia Xu。

The opening we played with me as black went like this:(I did not play
any of my crazy lines)。

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f5 3. Nc3 fxe4 4. Nxe4 d5 5. Nxe5 dxe4 6. Qh5+ g6 7.
Nxg6 hxg6 8. Qxh8

I do not know anything about this but I think I am OK here

Any opinions?

Sam Sloan
Rob
As a Muslim, you should be careful in China
samsloan
2009-09-13 19:32:00 UTC
Post by samsloan
Post by Liang Qi
[...]
Now I have found an entire school building devoted to chess.
The address is: Liaoning Shenyang Heping, Jixian Street 10, the third
of Railroad School.
email shandian1799 @ 126.com

It has pictures of Karpov, who has visited there, and Grandmasters Xie
Jun and Ye Jiang Chuan, who have given simultaneous exhibitions there
and will return on October 17.

They want me to teach some chess classes there.

They have hundreds of students and proudly state that they are the
"Second Biggest" Chess School in Liaoning Province.

I wonder what the biggest is like. Already this is far bigger than any
chess school in America.

Sam Sloan
samsloan
2009-09-14 06:48:21 UTC
Post by samsloan
Post by samsloan
Post by Liang Qi
[...]
Sam Sloan- 隐藏被引用文字 -
- 显示引用的文字 -
Turns out that the person I played 7-minute chess with is the current
champion of Shenyang and has won the championship many times.

As he was not very strong (I think I am better) I was surprised that a
city of 7 Million would not have better players.

Turns out, they do. Today they brought somebody else to play against
me. His name is Li Yuan Lu and he beat me three offhand games
embarasasingly easily.

He has a FIDE rating of 2245
http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8601402

He says that he is 23 years old and he got that rating when he was 14
playing in a World Youth Championship. He has not played in
tournaments since he says.

He speaks English better than most around here.

Tomorrow and Friday I will teach a chess class in the chess school
here, taking his place. He says that he has to go out of town for some
business so I will be taking his place teaching his regular class.

They are also providing a English-Chinese Translator to help me teach
the class.

Sam Sloan
samsloan
2009-10-06 21:47:40 UTC
Post by samsloan
I am in Xintai, Shandong Province of China. I have a flight
reservation to return to America on September 14, 2009.
I just realized that I have nothing to do here. I have no plans, no
ideas.
Does anybody know of places to play chess in China? It can be either
Chinese chess (xiangqi) or International chess.
It can be anywhere in the country, as I will be moving around over the
next nine days.
Sam Sloan
in Xintai, Shandong, China
I checked the IP address of the above posting, and here is what I
found:

APNIC - Query the APNIC Whois Database

To assist you with debugging problems, this whois query was received
from IP Address

Your web client may be behind a web proxy.

% APNIC found the following authoritative answer from: whois.apnic.net

% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 123.128.0.0 - 123.135.255.255
netname: UNICOM-SD
descr: China Unicom Shandong Province Network
descr: China Unicom
country: CN
admin-c: CH1302-AP
tech-c: xz14-ap
status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
remarks: service provider
mnt-by: APNIC-HM
mnt-lower: MAINT-CNCGROUP
mnt-lower: MAINT-CNCGROUP-SD
mnt-routes: MAINT-CNCGROUP-RR
remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.
remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC
remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation's account
remarks: name in the subject line.
remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
changed: hm-***@apnic.net 20070215
changed: hm-***@apnic.net 20070829
changed: hm-***@apnic.net 20090508
source: APNIC

route: 123.128.0.0/13
descr: CNC Group CHINA169 Shandong Province Network
country: CN
origin: AS4837
mnt-by: MAINT-CNCGROUP-RR
changed: ***@cnc-noc.net 20070215
source: APNIC

person: ChinaUnicom Hostmaster
nic-hdl: CH1302-AP
e-mail: ***@chinaunicom.cn
address: No.21,Jin-Rong Street
address: Beijing,100140
address: P.R.China
phone: +86-10-66259940
fax-no: +86-10-66259764
country: CN
changed: ***@chinaunicom.cn 20090408
mnt-by: MAINT-CNCGROUP
source: APNIC

person: XIAOFENG ZHANG
nic-hdl: XZ14-AP
e-mail: ***@pub.sd.cninfo.net
address: Jinan,Shandong P.R China
phone: +86-531-6666666
fax-no: +86-531-6666666
country: CN
changed: ***@sdinfo.net 20050330
mnt-by: MAINT-ZXF
source: APNIC

* Bold: Object type.
* Underlined: Primary key(s).
* Hyperlinks: Searchable Attributes.

4 records found for '123.135.120.58'
t***@yahoo.com
2009-10-10 16:15:05 UTC
You should come down to Anhui, Sam. Many people play chinese chess
here. Anqing city, Anhui province. They are all waiting for you. They
even have a Chinese Chess school here you can check out.