Horse VS Mandarins
Bart
2010-08-19 08:04:26 UTC
Hi all,

Recently I played a game of Chinese chess against a friend where I
ended with a single horse, and he with just his 2 mandarins
(obviously, the generals were there too). I couldn't force a check-
mate (both of us are just starting to play the game) and we were
wondering if it were possible, when played perfectly, if my single
horse (with the help of my general) could win the game.

I suppose it might depend on the position of the pieces and whose turn
it is, so let's say that all pieces (red general, red mandarin, red
mandarin, black general and black horse) are all in the position they
originally started and the defending party is next to move: in other
words: there is enough time to make a good defense around the general.

My questions are:
1 - can black win the game?
2 - if so, how?
3 - is there an online list that states what material is needed to win
a game and when it will be a draw?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Bart.
c***@gmail.com
According to the books I have this is a draw.
Bart
2010-08-28 08:09:41 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
According to the books I have this is a draw.
Hi Chipschap,

Thanks for your answer. That doesn't surprise me. Could you tell me in
what book such information can be found? Thanks!

Kind regards,

Bart.
Bart
2010-09-05 06:27:30 UTC
Post by Bart
Post by c***@gmail.com
According to the books I have this is a draw.
Hi Chipschap,
Thanks for your answer. That doesn't surprise me. Could you tell me in
what book such information can be found? Thanks!
Kind regards,
Bart.
Someone e-mailed me the following link: http://lpforth.forthfreak.net/available-knight.html
according to which KNKBB is almost always a draw.

Bart.
c***@gmail.com
2010-09-10 03:27:33 UTC
Post by Bart
Post by c***@gmail.com
According to the books I have this is a draw.
Hi Chipschap,
Thanks for your answer. That doesn't surprise me. Could you tell me in
what book such information can be found? Thanks!
It was what I found in the beginner's books, First Syllabus on Xiangqi
(David Li) and Chinese Chess (Lau).
Bart
2010-09-10 08:01:50 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
It was what I found in the beginner's books, First Syllabus on Xiangqi
(David Li) and Chinese Chess (Lau).
Thanks Chipschap!